Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No peeking!

Maybe I'm easily impressed-I dunno. But when I see a knitter knitting without staring intently at their work, the way I usually do, I always think they have some sort of super-human yarn-y type powers.

I've been doing the Sock A Month 9 KAL and haven't missed a month yet. Today is 25th of May and I started my May socks yesterday. Yeah, I know. Don't say it. Anyway, given that I'm running out of month AND the French Open is being televised almost 24/7, I decided to knit a simple sock that I have a prayer of finishing before the end of the month. I also want to be able to knit while watching Nadal pull his tennis shorts out of his butt crack a million times, so this is the perfect time to work on my no-look knitting skills.


It seems to be all about feel and a simple pattern. I don't care if you're the Yarn Harlot--if you're knitting cables you have to keep your eyes on your work. O.K. Maybe Stephanie can knit cables without looking, but me? No way. The right yarn helps too. You don't want anything too splitty, so I went stash-diving and came up with two skeins of Plymouth Happy Feet, in a rust-brown colorway. They're mostly stockinette, with some purl squares thrown in. It's going quickly and the little squares break up the monotony of the stockinette. I should have these bad boys finished in a couple of days, then I can get back to my stole. I'll put up the pattern for anybody who might want to practice their toe-up no-look skills.

Now back to the grindstone. And Rafa, if you read my blog, enough with the wedgies already. Maybe go commando. Couldn't hurt.

5 comments:

  1. after i viewed Nadal, I didn't have eyes for anything else! THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much of sports fan (i know when the US open is--i live close enough to Flushing Meadow Park that i can walk there (longish walk to the stadium, (i am about a mile south) but its a big park-- and its not a long walk to my end of the park--and the US Open causes traffic delays for me!

    BUT I love the socks! I think brown--and multiple shade of brown are so under utilized (by me too!) and are so pretty once you actually look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge Rafa fan and couldn't agree with you more about the wedgy picking. And while I love Andy Roddick, what's with him adjusting "the boys" all the time? I'm so excited Andy made it to the 2nd round. What do you think of Venus' outfit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, people. Google the Shakira/Rafa music video. Oh. My. Gosh. I had to slap myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, I didn't read anything past 'Nadal' and 'butt crack'. I got stuck on that image and the rest is a blur. lol

    ReplyDelete

A few people seem to be having problems leaving comments. I have no clue why--Blogger doesn't make it easy to figure these things out. If you are having issues, you can always email me. Thanks for commenting, or trying to...