Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's like that movie GroundHog Day, only with yarn

The weather keeps doing the same thing, over and over and over again--snow, freezing cold temperatures, and gray skies. I'm more than a little sick of it, especially when I think about not going any place warm for another five weeks. I am, however, going to Madrona, so don't feel too sorry for me. A few weeks after that, I finally get to (hopefully) spend some time in the sun. The BFF and I are going to the BNP Paribas Open. We have a free place to crash, we're flying on points, and half of our tickets for the tennis are free. Like I said, don't feel sorry for me. In fact, maybe you should be just a little jealous, because of this:


Kaleidoscope Yarns had this luscious yarn on sale and I couldn't resist. It's the new Tilli Tomas DK weight Symphony. Just in time for Valentines Day, this red is so damn gorgeous, I want to make out with it. The mohair/silk blend is pre-stung with little bitty glass beads that catch the light and make my heart beat faster. I still haven't decided what I'll do with it. If you have a pattern you think would really showcase this yarn, let me know. Each skein is only 117 yards, so I'm thinking something lacy, but I'm open to suggestions.


I have a huge list of things I need to finish before I leave town. The bobble hat pattern needs to be completed and sent back to the tech editor. I completely changed the layout and I'm tinkering with some added graphics, but I need to get my butt in gear. I also have some contract knitting to complete, and my BFF asked me to make a couple of dog sweaters. Here's my Sophie squeezed into the first one:



The dog it's meant for is about half Sophie's weight, but she was a good sport and modeled it for me anyway. I don't have a pattern for the sweater. I just sketched a design and did the math to get close to the size of a sweater that BFF already has. Hopefully, this one works. When you know how to do shaping, it really makes it enjoyable to simply knit away and see what happens. Just do it! Nike stole that line from me, by the way. Seriously. 

Sigh. I just glanced out of the window and it's pretty much a blizzard out there. I think maybe I can use some sympathy after all.

Last but not least, congratulations to Lea Ann, winner of the digital scale. Those of you who didn't win, stay tuned... I'm thinking Valentines Day would be a great day for another giveaway to continue the celebration of my first Blogoversary.

12 comments:

  1. Sophie is adorable in the little sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous! You'll get to buy some more fabulous yarn! And I love that movie, whenever it seems we're doing the same thing over and over we laugh and say "It's groundhog day" love it!
    Sophie is a good model. Ellie probably wishes she had a warm sweater with how cold it's been here. lol. But the cold won't last so I won't be knitting her a sweater. Now back to my sock knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had I seen that Tilli Tomas yarn on sale, I would've snatched it up too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie is a very good sport? You could use the Tili Thomas to make her a sparkly jacket! Ok, maybe not. Can't wait to see what you use the yarn for, it's swoon-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard of Madrona. I can't wait to hear about that - and the tennis tournament. Wow fun!

    That yarn is beautiful. I am not sure what pattern would best showcase it.

    I want to learn to shape! That doggie sweater is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sophie's look means: I am not so sure about this thing on me. But, whatever, mom.
    She is so cute. Where is her sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I'm not a red person and I love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. first of all, the Tilli Thomas is to die for - when you finish making out with it could I please take it to second base? In Groundhog's Day Andy MacDowell wears a gorgeous woven scarf made by an old friend of mine! He and his partner used to do the high end craft markets and that movie really helped to put him into a new tax bracket! Did you notice it?
    I'm glad for your upcoming travels - I could babysit the TilliThomas while you are gone!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, that lil Sophie is a punkin. She does indeed have her "good sport" look down. Thanks so much for the giveaway and I so appreciate being the winner. That red yarn is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't picked up a needle in a hundred years, but then I never got past the beginner stuff anyway. Love your model!! It's been chilly and dreary with barely any sunshine in days here, but no blizzards, thankfully. Enjoy your upcoming trips - sounds like you need the break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to lucky Lee ann.

    YOu crack me up; you want to make out with that gorgeous yarn! It is great for the valentines theme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dog sweater is cute, and I can't tell from the picture that the fit is off.

    I've heard so much about Madrona. That will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

A few people seem to be having problems leaving comments. I have no clue why--Blogger doesn't make it easy to figure these things out. If you are having issues, you can always email me. Thanks for commenting, or trying to...