Wednesday, October 13, 2010

They'll pry the carbs from my cold, dead hands

I love bread and I'm not ashamed to say it. There aren't too many vices I've held on to--smoking, partying all night, bad boys--they all lost their hold on me pretty quickly. But bread is still there and always will be. I don't care what "research" says. I refuse to believe anything bad about something I love so much. That's my rationale for anything I won't give up, but then I've never let myself get confused by facts. I just modify my approach. Instead of half the loaf in one sitting, a single slice. All things in moderation. Except wine. O.K. FINE. Wine in moderation too. But not chocolate.

This is Maple Oatmeal Bread, from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. The edition I have is from 1987 but it's been updated at least one more time--it's that good of a bread book. It's a chewy, delicious loaf that's wonderful on its own, but what it does for a sandwich is almost illegal.

The recipe link is in the sidebar. I've included some notes of my own and if you have any questions, let me know. In another life, I taught bread baking classes. You can imagine how bitter the low-carb craze left me. Bake a loaf of this bread and make me feel whole again.





14 comments:

  1. sounds good--but my favorite oatmeal bread is made with steel cut (not rolled) oats.. they lend a nutty texture to the bread (Joy of Cooking is recipe source)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you do if would be be diagnosed with allergies : Wine, tomatoes , chocolate, fungus and yeast (includes Bread)??
    I would still eat a slice of your bread, just because it looks delicious; with lots of butter and marmalade for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds DEEEElicious!

    I bet your house semlled wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geeeeeeeeeezzz, I mean SMELLED!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bread looks YUMMY!

    My never-let-it-go-ever-ever-ever carb is white rice. I love a whole host of whole grain foods but brown rice is an UNACCEPTABLE substitute for white rice. It HAS to be white rice. Preferably steamed and with kosher salt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum!
    I haven't baked a loaf of bread since we moved to NH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the great-sounding recipe! I think I'll try making it this weekend. And being in Colorado, I appreciate your notes about adding more flour. Thanks again!

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm.... carbs! my downfall is pasta. All those years of living in Italy has me spoiled and I love spaghetti, penne, farfalle, oh I just love them all!! I like bread but don't make it as much anymore.
    (I'm off now to make some of your delicious scones! today I'm making them with cherries)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! That bread looks fabulous. I'm in a fitness "club" at work, and our instructor told us to stop eating anything from white flour. But geez, I've just started baking delicious breads. I'm not ready to give up bread yet, either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I have to try baking bread too!
    Me and my husband LOOOOVE bread. Served warm and with lots and lots of BUTTER. There!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm bread. Will try that this weekend instead of same old same old bread machine bread.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, I haven't tried this recipe in a bread machine, but it would probably work. It would have to be a pretty big bread machine, however. You might be able to make the dough by hand, and instead of letting the completed dough rise in pans, let it rise in the machine, then bake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're in good company, JelliDonut -- look how many carb-loving friends you have here.

    ReplyDelete

A few people seem to be having problems leaving comments. I have no clue why--Blogger doesn't make it easy to figure these things out. If you are having issues, you can always email me. Thanks for commenting, or trying to...