Monday, August 1, 2011

Sock Summit 2011, Day Four: When do they open the 2013 registration?

I'm writing this last post about Sock Summit on the train from Portland to Tacoma, Washington. I'm going up there to spend a few days with family before I head back to Denver. I wish I could take the train back! Right this moment, I've got wifi and a glass of wine. Just polished off a bowl of Ivar's clam chowder and it's so lovely, just sitting back and watching the scenery go by. Nobody xrayed me or grabbed body parts--this is so much nicer than air travel! When I finish this post I'm going to knit a little, if I don't have another glass of wine...


I had another class on Sunday with Anne Hanson, and the poor thing was pretty much fried by then--she came to Sock Summit directly from London and has one more teaching gig before she heads home--but she was gracious and attentive, as always.

The Fleece to Foot Challenge was Sunday--pretty cool, but no one finished their second sock. Not surprising, since they had to comb the fleece, spin it, then knit the pattern, all in a few hours. Crazy! Here are the three sheep that gave it up for a good cause:


Here's one of the teams:


I heard a rumor that the next Sock Summit (2013) will take up the entire Oregon Convention Center. I'm not sure how they're going to top a flash mob, live sheep and the biggest yarn market I've ever seen but I plan to be here. 

I'll try to post about the classes I took before fly back to Denver, but I'm making no promises. I'll be surrounded by nieces and nephews I haven't seen for a while and I'm hoping some of them will sit still long enough for a few knitting lessons. But oh how I wish you could all have been at Sock Summit with me!

11 comments:

  1. Me too --- and the train trip sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip! What's up the the head umbrellas in your last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I kind of hate that you're returning. I've really enjoyed your trip. I'm sure the scenery is gorgeous. A glass of wine with Anne Hanson ! I should think about 2013 and attending. Anyway, toodles. Looking forward to all photos when you return.

    Carolyn / Twocables

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could've been there too!
    Glad you had a good time and can't wait to hear more about the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go to SS....but I think it's one of those things that I'm going to forever dream about and have to live vicariously through others :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someday I'll go to Sock Summit.

    Trains are an awesome way to travel if you've got the time.

    We did the Wine Train in Napa. It's just and evening run out and back focused on dinner, but it was so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sock Summit followed by nieces & nephews -- you are livin' the dream!

    Were you able to get all your SS purchases on the train or did you have to charter a flight for the yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love taking the train. I would take the train from Pdx to Seattle every so often, beautiful journey!

    Thanks for your Sock Summit updates, that was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never taken the train in the States and am reminded that I need to slow it down. I enjoyed your posts on the Sock Summit and look forward to seeing your new creations with all your new goods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh SO jealous. The sock summit is so close to me I can smell the wool and hear the laughter. Some day I will get there. In the meantime, I'm so glad you posted all about it so I can live vicariously through someone else's adventure. Yay!!! Glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete

A few people seem to be having problems leaving comments. I have no clue why--Blogger doesn't make it easy to figure these things out. If you are having issues, you can always email me. Thanks for commenting, or trying to...