Monday, August 8, 2011

What's the hurry?

The trouble with life in the fast lane is that you get to the other end in an awful hurry.
—John Jensen


I am decidedly NOT in a hurry to get to the other end of anything in summertime. If I had my druthers, mornings would begin about 9 a.m. and end about 2 p.m. The rest of the day could then commence, but at a leisurely pace. Cocktails at 5. That being said, I'm up to my eyeballs in deadlines and unfinished and unstarted projects. (I stole "unstarted." Come forth and claim credit.) My carpets haven't seen the vacuum cleaner in so long they probably wouldn't recognize each other. I have a hundred ideas for new patterns racing around in my head, along with updates to my blog template. Those days that should start at 9 a.m. will have to end at 2 a.m. if I'm going to finish anything before Fall gets here.

Here's a tidbit from Anne Hanson, since I promised you Sock Summit goodies: tie knots in the yarn tail of your gauge swatch to correspond to the needle size you used. Brilliant! My own riff on this for those X.5 size needles--tie one extra knot separated from the knots for the needle size. 

There will be more from Sock Summit soon, I promise, but I'm off to a book meeting. I'll leave you with a hint of a project that just needs seaming. And soaking. And blocking. And mailing. ::sigh::



10 comments:

  1. Lazy days are the best way to live, I just wish the rest of the world would recognize that. Also, if my house could just clean itself, I'd really appreciate it.

    Love the knotted end on the gauge swatch idea! I'm stealing and implementing this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rushing, hurrying, and being on-time should be banned in the summer. As Jimmy Buffett says --- i run on "island time". ;-)

    It's a shame everyone ELSE is not running on island time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My idea of housework is sweeping a room with a glance". Borrowed this from a friend. This is my new motto. Don't worry about the carpet its going to get dirty again anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My carpets haven't seen the vacuum cleaner in so long they probably wouldn't recognize each other."
    Snicker.
    Mine have the same relationship, probably because it sounds like I do housework the same way Annemieke and her friend do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to more Sock Summit. Now that you mention carpets I should probably do mine. Ehhh, I'll save it for another day or week...

    Carolyn / Twocables

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should all relax and slow down. I think we impose the schedule on ourselves and make ourselves feel rushed. I like the idea of 'livin on island time' :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you think!!

    More Sock Summit news please. :-) I'm enjoying the SS through your posts.

    Ahhh...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhh, the dust can wait.....winter is so very long.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still on the enforced slow down due to hand surgery, with six more weeks to go. I am desperately missing my knitting, spinning, etc., though it is nice to have such a good excuse for not doing the chores.
    I must craft vicariously in the meantime so I hope you'll find time to share about your projects... Good luck with the deadlines!

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I read this on national relaxation day, according to your widget :-)

    ReplyDelete

A few people seem to be having problems leaving comments. I have no clue why--Blogger doesn't make it easy to figure these things out. If you are having issues, you can always email me. Thanks for commenting, or trying to...