Saturday, April 2, 2011

Putting the EEK in Steek

The topic for day six of the 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week:
Something to aspire to. Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make but can admire the result of those that have.
I like to think of myself as a ballsy kind of broad but *steeking, just the idea of it, makes me want to hide under a Kaffe Fassett blanket. Speaking of things I admire but will never knit:

photo from the Kaffe Fassett Studio

Go on, I double-dog dare you. This is the Madras Blocks Throw, from the Kaffe Fassett Studio, for the Kaffe Summer House collection. Just thinking of dealing with all those yarn ends makes me want to scream, but knock yourself out. I love this, but I know my limits.

Back to steeking--it's actually a technique I will attempt and conquer one day. I'm thinking I'll start with a cardi for my granddaughter Tilly, then work my way up to a Bohus sweater for me. The patterns featured in the Bohus link are generally done on size 2.5 mm needles--SOCK NEEDLES--which means it will take for-freaking-ever. This is Yarn Harlot-type knitting--she knits so fast that sparks fly off her needles. Me? It will be more like a slow motion video.

*THIS IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART--These are graphic photos of knitting and scissors. You've been warned.

8 comments:

  1. I unknowingly watched a video on steeking a while back and sat wide-mouth and horrified the whole time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steeking schmeeking... Now the 400+ stitches of yoke on the now 5 year old unfinished tangled yoke cardigan? That gives me the heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still view steeking like plastic surgery - unnecessarily painful! But props to your bravery, Bohus looks like a gorgeous aspiration to reach for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you haven't yet, read the part about steeking from Adrienne Martini's Sweater Quest book. It's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. myhook--the photos were horrible enough. Video=nightmare!

    Rogue--no pain, no gain!

    Jess--I haven't gotten to that part of SQ yet. Will read faster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEEK is right --- I haven't tried steeking and doubt I ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on this one, that blanket would require a decade-long commitment for me. When I start a new craft I have a tendency to think I want to learn how to do everything, but after awhile I can narrow it down and not feel like I have to try techniques just because all the "cool kids" can do them. (Except for nupps, I must conquer the nupps.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh...I might have to make another blanket...

    ReplyDelete

A few people seem to be having problems leaving comments. I have no clue why--Blogger doesn't make it easy to figure these things out. If you are having issues, you can always email me. Thanks for commenting, or trying to...